GSHS Council Calendar

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

When the Truth Hurts: Helping Daughters Be Honest in a Good Girl World


This is Rachel Simmons' latest blog entries. She's one of our favorites!

When the Truth Hurts: Helping Daughters Be Honest in a Good Girl World
By Rachel Simmons
| November 18th, 2009 |

I had just started a fifth grade class when a student began waving her hand and doing that “Oooh! Oooh! Oooh!” thing that I used to do when I couldn’t contain myself.*

“Okay,” she said, “what if, like, my friend asks me if I like the dress she was buying and I didn’t like it and I wanted to tell her but I was afraid she would get mad at me?”

This is the dreaded teaching moment when I want to stand up like a lounge performer, wave fondly and shout, “Thank you so much! Good night!”

But I had a whole class left to teach, and I had to deal with it. This is a question that can break your heart. It’s the moment when a girl announces her awareness of Good Girl pressure – the rules that tell girls they must be unfailingly nice to others at all costs, even at the expense of their own integrity. CONTINUE READING


Have any recommendations of your own? How would you suggest your girl handle the situation?

No comments:

Post a Comment